To create a new report, the steps shown below is followed:
• Find RdlDesigner in your start menu or in the folder you downloaded it into.
• Click the New report button
Here the steps to be followed are,
• Enter the report information.
• Select the page orientation that the report will use.
• The information set here can be found later in the properties panel on the right side of the designer, having selected report in the dropdown selector.
Now enter the connection information that the report will use to connect to the data source.
This example is using SQLite but there are many other options. Some other connection options are: SQL (Microsoft), ODBC, OLEDB, Oracle, MySQL, Firebird, PostgreSQL and others.
The settings here can be found later (after the wizard has completed) from the top menu bar option Data>>Data Sources.
If you want parameter, the next thing to do is go to the parameters tab and add some parameters.
The settings here can be found later (after the wizard has completed) from the top menu bar option Data>>Data Sets>>Data (Query Parameters).
The steps to be followed in this section are as follows,
• Open the SQL tab to enter the SQL statement that will pull back the data.
• On the left side you will see a list of tables that you can select the data from.
Now you can select a table.
• Click the >> button to add all the columns from a table to the report
• You can also write your own SQL to do a custom select, including calling
a stored procedure with
EXEC my_sp_test1 for example.
The settings here can be found later (after the wizard has completed) from the top menu bar option Data>>Data Sets>>Data
You can add grouping if applicable to the report.
After you create groups, you can add and format rows on which to display aggregate values for the fields. You can choose whether to show all the data or to let a user expand and collapse grouped data interactively.
To add subtotals and totals
1. On the Choose the layout page, underOptions, verify that Show subtotals and grand totals is selected.
2. Verify that Blocked, subtotal below is selected.
3. Clear the option Expand/collapse groups. The report you create does not use the drilldown feature that lets a user expand a parent group hierarchy to display child group rows and detail rows.
4. Click Next to preview the table, then click Finish.
The table is added to the design surface.
Next you can review the report XML syntax if you want.
The RDL code can be seen at any time in the designer using the three tabs in the lower left, that switch between: Designer, RDL Text, Preview
Finally, you can preview the report before creating it to see if it contains the information that you want.
The report can be previewed at any time in the designer using the three tabs in the lower left, that switch between: Designer, RDL Text, Preview.
You are now done. To have the report created all you need to do is click the OK button. Once that is done the report will open in the designer and is ready for you to start editing.
• Mention the steps for creating a new report using reporting tool with details that must include how to establish the connection.
• Briefly explain the steps to be followed in order to change the existing report format.
• What is the importance of the following in creating a new report using a reporting tool,
a. Report Syntax
b. Report Preview
c. Report Designer