A well-structured database is required to serve the following purposes:
Designing an efficient, useful database is a matter of following the proper process, including these phases:
• Database Design is a collection of processes that facilitate the designing, development, implementation and maintenance of enterprise data management systems
• It helps produce database systems that meet the requirements of the users have high performance.
• The main objectives of database designing are to produce logical and physical designs models of the proposed database system.
• The logical model concentrates on the data requirements and the data to be stored independent of physical considerations. It does not concern itself with how the data will be stored or where it will be stored physically.
• The physical data design model involves translating the logical design of the database onto physical media using hardware resources and software systems such as database management systems (DBMS).
Database designing is crucial to high performance database system. Apart from improving the performance, properly designed database is easy to maintain, improve data consistency and are cost effective in terms of disk storage space.
*Note, the genius of a database is in its design. Data operations using SQL is relatively simple
The database development life cycle has a number of stages that are followed when developing database systems. The steps in the development life cycle do not necessary have to be followed religiously in a sequential manner. On small database systems, the database system development life cycle is usually very simple and does not involve a lot of steps. In order to fully appreciate the above diagram, let's look at the individual components listed in each step.