Kushal Tutorials - Document
Kushal Tutorials - Generating Reports
Adding Reporting Features to Desktop Applications with Kushal
In this tutorial you will learn to generate a report in Kushal Project using MyFYI reporting Tool. In the previous video, you have learnt how to develop an application, in this video, you will learn Adding Reporting Capabilities to Kushal Application
Reporting is one of the main components of any database application. After all, most of the applications are built ultimately to get the timely report. There are many popular reporting tools such as Crystal Report, Active Reports which are feature rich and widely used along with Visual Studio applications. One of the objectives of Kushal Projects was to keep the development cost minimum. We thus wanted to support a free reporting tool along with Kushal.
Hence, in Kushal, a Reporting tool called MyFYI is included, to create reports. However, that does not stop you including Crystal Report, Active Report or any other reporting tool of your choice.
Adding Reporting Features to Kushal Project
In the sample project explained in the previous video, 'Reporting' was not explained since this is a detailed topic by itself.
1. Create a simple Report in MyFYI and then call it from a Kushal Project.
2. To do so, Open MyFYI, Click on 'New Report'
3. In 'Report Info Tab', select Table
4. In 'Connection Tab' select SQLite since your database in SQLite
5. In 'Connection String Tab', provide Connection Sting for SQLite. You need not select anything in the Parameter Tab
6. Provide SQL statement containing Field names that you want in the report. Since you are creating a Contact Manager, you should provide SQL Statement which picks only required fields
7. Now by clicking on OK, a draft report will be ready.
8. Align fields in Report designer like the way you want to see them in the output
9. If you click on the 'Preview' tab - Instantly report will be generated.
10. But you should call this report from Kushal Project. So, save this RDL file with name ContactEditor. You can call this report from Search Screen which you have already designed.
11. To include reports in Kushal click on the Expression button. In the expression editor that opens, navigate to the Reports tab, and Click on the 'Add' button. Select the report file which you have created.
12. Then, add a button for generating a Report called 'Report'. In the button properties change the action type as 'Show Report'.
13. You should provide the rdl file path in 'Report file name Properties'.
14. Now re-generate source code and see how this report is getting generated.
Wow! Congratulations! Generating reports was never so easy.
Thank you for watching this video. In the next topic, you will learn about various features of Kushal, so that you can understand the strength of Kushal and give it a try.